[AMPS] ALC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALC
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:41:12 -0500
At the output of my amp. I have an RF Applications peak-indicating
wattmeter, which I use to monitor my PEP output in order to stay within the
1500-watt limit.  My amp. is a Henry 8-K Ultra, which has plenty of
headroom.  My exciter is an Icom IC-775DSP.

For SSB, which of the following methods of _controlling_ my PEP output is
preferable, and why?

1. ALC feedback from the amp. to the exciter.

2. Don't use ALC, but use the "Power" control on the Icom exciter.

Is there any reason not to use method #2 for CW or RTTY?

Thanks -Chuck W1HIS