[AMPS] [Fwd: {Collins} Tube Filament Voltages]

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] [Fwd: {Collins} Tube Filament Voltages]
From: w8ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 12:07:52 -0500

Considering the source, believe it.  There is a very good reason
the manufacturers specify a warm-up period for indirectly heated
cathode tubes ... to make certain that the cathode does not run
too cold.

Most tubes are rated for at least 10,000 hours of emissive life.
Assuming an active amateur averages two hours a day of filament
time (even a contester won't run the amp 48 hours every weekend),
that's a rated lifetime of 15 years.  In amateur service one is
more likely to lose a tube from due to an open filament from the
turn on transient than "old age" as long as the tube is operated
within its ratings.

Keep the filament voltage at "nominal" and check it when there
are significant changes in power (new transformer, new QTH,
new/repaired wiring, etc.) and whenever you open the case to
clean(!).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK