[AMPS] Re: [Henry] On-off, or leave it on?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: [Henry] On-off, or leave it on?
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 15:18:40 -1000
Phil wrote:

> 1. Do you have inrush protection on your filament
>  transformer, or a  transformer that is designed specifically
>  for the tube it powers, so that inrush is self-limiting?

Seems Henry uses only a "designed" transformer.  I have a
Henry with a 3CX3000A,  and the PS diagram  just shows
230V to the filament xfmr,  then to the tube filaments via
a choke in each side with a couple of caps across the
tube side of the chokes.  Assume the fil. xfmr is a
"special"  design.....?

> 2. After an on-the-air session, do you wait until the blower
>  has done its thing, and cooled the tube down to a
>  reasonable level?

Not easy to tell!  There is so much heat being blown out
from the cabinet just from the 300+ watts of filament
power!  In fact,  with my amp use,  occasional as is
Chuck's,  I have never noticed added heat output beyond
the steady state filament heat output.  Now my amp is
in an adjacent room because that heat output would
drive me away from my small operating room very fast!
Also,  the blower is so loud,  I absolutely would not want
the amp pedestal in my operating area.  That is why I
sold my 87A and went to the remote operated Henry.
The fan on the 87A (added external fan,  needed here
in the tropics)  was just way too loud for an on-the-operating
table amplifier.

Holding the 3CX3000 to 1500 watts peak output,  I suspect,
unless one is operating RTTY or PSK,  there is not going
to be noticeable added heat beyond that steady high
filament heat.

Just my thoughts about the Henry amps with the 3CX3000 tube.

73,  Jim,  KH7M