[AMPS] Himu triode 4-400A distorsion products??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Himu triode 4-400A distorsion products??
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:17:01 -0000
Hans said:

>As far as I remember these tubes have graphite anodes

All my 4-400s have metal anodes (Eimac, Penta and a Siemens). The Siemens one
surprises me - I'd have expected graphite....

I use a single 4-400 in gg on 10m. I found that it needs about 3.7 - 3.8kV to
give about 470 - 500 watts: I can't remember what the IMD is like, but guess I
could measure it if anyone is really interested. Just have to cart the spectrum
analyser to the rig.......

The emission capabilities of the 4-250 and 4-400 are the same;  the
characteristic curves in the Mullard book appear to be so, too. I use a pair of
4-250A (actually QY4-250) in grounded cathode AB2 with negative feedback and
stabilised grid and screen supplies very successfully on 24MHz and below. But it
likes about 3.8kV on the plate. I get (from memory) -32dB rel each tone from
that amp at 900 watts PEP.

73

Peter G3RZP