[AMPS] Clarification : Using Half the secondary in a plate xfmr

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Clarification : Using Half the secondary in a plate xfmr
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:00:27 -0500
> Quick question:
> I have a 2600 - 0 - 2600 transformer. I
> am planning on using half of the secondary
> in a fullwave bridge configuration.  Won't
> I still get the full current rating of the
> secondary in using just half of the secondary?
> I want something like 3kv - 3.5kv output from
> the p.s.

You will have twice the heat in the half of the secondary you are
using. (Twice the duty cycle in that winding area with the same
current and resistance.)

You will have the same voltage and voltage regulation as you would
with a conventional grounded CT full wave rectifier using the same
transformer.

This is why for a give physical size transformer, a full wave bridge
is the most effective. If the transformer was wound for a bridge, it
could use more than twice the wire thickness.

Why are you not just using the grounded CT?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com