[AMPS] Rejuvenating an old GDO

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Rejuvenating an old GDO
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner, W7TI)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:00:42 -0800
On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:03:14 -0800, Bob Marston wrote:

>There is one fly in the ointment albeit a small one. The oscillator is
>intermittent. It is readily apparent that the cause of the problem is the
>equipments age. As the oscillator uses tubes and point to point wiring so
>it looks like the problem should be cleared up with a few hours of work
>reheating solder joints and cleaning contacts.

Before doing anything else, gently rock the tubes back and forth in their
sockets.  I did TV repair for many years back in the '60s and '70s and that was
usually enough to remove surface corrosion on the tube pins and the sockets.
Past experience tells me the problem is not likely solder joints if the wiring
is point-to-point.  If it's on a printed circuit board, then it is a definite
possibility.

73, Bill W7TI