[AMPS] Plate Transformer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate Transformer
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:40:10 -0600

> What is usually inside one of the old solid, sealed transformers besides
> the normal primary and secondary windings, core, etc?  Do they normally
> have oil or any other media for cooling purposes?

No, just potting material to keep the moisture out.

> I recently replaced two very large identical transformers that I had
> wired primaries in series and secondaries in parallel because one of
> them smoked during the CQWW test. From the size of the new transformer
> (about 12x12x10 and approximately 100 pounds) it looks like it will hold
> up just fine, but was wondering what to expect.  With about 16 Mfd
> capacitor input and 3600V no load it drops to about 3200V under load at
> 800ma.

You are a bit short on MFD's here. Assuming your load resistance is
somewhere between 3000-4000 ohms, you need around 40 MFD
worth of filter capacitance for good regulation with the large peak-to-average
ratio esperienced in SSB service.

I assume your new transformer is protected with a step-start circuit in its
primary.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC