[AMPS] Additional Tube Brand Questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Additional Tube Brand Questions
From: k5go@alltel.net (Stan Stockton)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 07:56:30 -0600
Not having (anywhere close to) the technical knowledge of some -
However, it seems that the L-4B deck WAS comparatively overdesigned for
what was the legal limit (about 600W output) when it was designed.
Compare the tank components to the SB-220 that has well over 3,000
volts.  At any rate, with additional cooling, about 3,500V, and bias, I
get 1500W out in a 48 hour contesting environment.  Of course I am
eliminating the normal tuning errors by carefully tuning it up on a
single band in mulit-multi environment (no fast band switching and
tuning).  For those of you who operated the CQWW CW Test and know what
happened to the propagation on Sunday afternoon, you will enjoy the
caption on the picture of my power supply that had two 115V primary
transformers in series/parallel (mistake) when it smoked.  That was
4200V which was indeed too much.  The amplifier is much happier now with
3500V...

See picture at http://cooldude.com/k5go/new/cqwwcw00/mvc-101f.jpg

Stan