[AMPS] 80/40 antenna back up

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 80/40 antenna back up
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 19:14:11 -0500
> At 2:20 PM -0500 2001/2/1, Bob Duckworth wrote:
> >My antenna of choice for 80/40 since 1984.
> >A full size, 80m, rectangular, vertical plane, loop.
> >Open wire feed.
> >Top wire at 45'
> >1/8 wave verticals.
> >Feed 1/8 wave from a bottom corner (compromise for
> >my desired radiation angles and azimuth based on
> >location of trees :-)
> >AA4RM and I are going to write it up with a little math
> >and a lot of handwaving...

> Is each vertical side 10 meters (33 feet) long, so that the lower side
> is 45 minus 33 = 12 feet above the ground?  If so, I fear you're
> dissipating a lot of power in the ground.
>
> -Chuck W1HIS

The same thing crossed my mind Chuck. People often think
because there is no ground connection there is no ground loss, but
any antenna that close to earth would have a lot of loss if there isn't
some sort of large ground system covering the lossy earth  below
the antenna.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com