[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:44:39
>>At 02:03 PM 2/2/01, Jeff Wolf wrote:
>>
>>The SB220 should ALWAYS be started in the CW position to limit inrush
>>current.  NEVER start the SB220 in the SSB position, as it puts too >>much
>>strain on components.
>>

>Never heard this before.

Has been discussed on this list a few times.

>I never do it this way.  Don't think it's really a problem.

You don't believe starting an amplifier that has no step start on the higher
voltage portion of the transformer to be a problem?

Think about it.  Less windings in the CW position increase the turns ratio,
increasing high voltage.

What would be less prone to having stress induced on it during a startup?  A
transformer with 20 turns, or one with 30 on the primary (the numbers are
arbitrary).  What would have less stress induced on the rectifiers?  E*I=W,
and if you increase the E, then the amount of W increases as well.

>But I do agree, the best cosmetic and operational solution is to use >the
>push-pull switch on the sensitivity pot.

Anything that keeps the equipment stock, or able to return to stock is the
best solution

Toll Free

73, Pete N4ZR