[AMPS] 2 x 813 linear amplifier on 160 m.: HELP!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2 x 813 linear amplifier on 160 m.: HELP!
From: ik2ani@infinito.it (Aldo Angeletti)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:08:57 +0100

>From several years i'm working with my home made linear amplifier using a
pair of
813 tubes.
It works fine from 10 to 80 running about 500 to 700 watts output. Now I
decide to make an attempt for the 160 m.
So, following two similar articles (QST january 1989 pag. 23 and CQ
november 1997 pag. 30), I add  the additional capacitances on the legs of
the PI-network and the additional inductance wounded on Amidon T225A iron
core.
I test with my grid dip the PI-network resonance frequency: it is 1850 Khz.
WOW!
However, when I turn on the amplifier  the power output on 160 m band is
only 300 watts!!!
Why? Where is the mistake? Perhaps the RF choke on the plate? or the 500 pF
capacitance (too
small?) between the plates and the PI-network? or the Q of the additional
inductance?
Could you give me some suggestion to improve the performance and understand
the reason why it does'n work as aspected?

TNX and 73 de Aldo  IK2ANI