[AMPS] pride DX-300 and KW-1 versions...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] pride DX-300 and KW-1 versions...
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:43:33 -0800
hello
-
You both are talking two different amplifier - transmitter
combinations.  Jeff is talking about amplifiers made
for the more advanced CB Operator, the Pride DX-300
being one I've mentioned before here on amps.  Rich
is referring to Collins Equipment.
-
Jeff is right, the DX-300 will output about 310 watts
with 4 watts drive, so will my equivalent six meter
version of which I built for my old Icom 551 (10 watt
version).  It's not that clean on the air...
-
The problem is it's linearity is very poor, I've measured
the factory design and it's less than 30dB down on my
new HP.   I have one and have spent mucho time with
the circuit to clean it up.
-
The CB KW-1 amplifier is even worse, I measured crap
less than 23 dB down on one some time back. Nothing
short of a complete circuit rework will clean it up.
-
The Collins KW-1 is a sweet animal, often seen on Ebay
for much more than it's worth. One close by me was up
for an $18,000 starting price about two weeks ago. Yep,
you read the price right.
-
cheers
skipp
-
>>>... 750w  PEP is not believable for a tube that is rated
>>>at 2000v/0.25A max.
>>>BS is the fastest way to torpedo one's credibility.
>>>cheers
>>>-  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
>>>end
: From: "Jeff Wolf" <da_kang@hotmail.com>
:Try the Pride DX-300 or KW-1.
:The KW-1 does not use 4cx250Bs
: Your sadly mistaken, Rich.
: The DX300 uses a tuned input for each band, and is
: rated for full power at c. 4 watts input.
: The KW-1 uses a swamped grid input, and is rated for
: c. 100 watts input.
: Both use the 4cx250.
:Toll Free

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!