[AMPS] Henry 3000D rf deck

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 3000D rf deck
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:27:30 -0600
W5AH gave you some very sound advice...I won't repeat it.

There are several models of this generator, ranging from 2000D to 5000D.
Some had vacuum variables and some just a single rotor/stator capacitor
made in house by Henry for the tune and load caps.

As I have stated on earlier posts, the tube socket and metal chimney do
not lend themselves to operation above 15 meters. Not that it cannot be done,
but this will complicate multibanding the tank circuit.

These generators were custom-built usually, so you see several layouts and
many different components utilized. Some models have a roller coil but it is
not the Pi coil. It is the "L" coil, and not robust enough  to use as the pi
coil.

You can see my single-band 160 meter conversion on W7IUV's web site.
This will give you an idea of how much room you have to work with...not  too
difficult for a single or dual band conversion.

The H.V. transformer in most units  is 3-phase, but  it is failrly simple to
convert to single phase. Also, there is no T-R switching incorporated as
these units were not designed for communications use. The control head
is a useful accessory, as these amps are very noisy, and produce a tremendous
amount of heat. The upside is that these units are "instant on/off and can
produce
immediate QRO when that rare one show up!

I have converted dozens of these units over the years. The most I have paid for
100% complete generators is $425. Those were "Zero-time" NOS.

Caution...do not expect to tuck one of these under your arm and walk away with
it....they weigh 425 pounds!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

Phil Clements