[AMPS] TL-922 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922 problem
From: whagen@inreach.com (William F. Hagen)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:09:31 -0800
Greetings all,
I just purchased a TL-922, and tried tuning up on the 160M band.
When in cw mode, at around 100 watts exciter power, I think I exceeded
the plate or grid current, and heard a pop.
Investigating further, I was able to use successfully on the 80 meter
position.

Opening up the unit and examining all the components, I could see the 10
meter mod in place, and also saw a popped capacitor.
It appears to me that the previous owner had removed capacitor #C45 from
its place near the RL-1 relay, and placed it in the 160M tank circuit,
connecting it between the bandswitch connection where C44 connects, and
grounding to the chassis where the screw on the cable holder is.

The capacitor is 47pF 3KV, and appears split in half.
The result is there is no dip on the plate, and there is no power out on
160 meters.

I am considering repair, and think that removing the busted capacitor
and replacing C45 at the relay is all that is needed. The part in the
photograph looks like a disc ceramic, but Im not sure.

I can find no other mods or burnt components.
Any suggestions?

Also, any ideas as to why this rearrangement was done?
Is this part of rematching swr after the 10 meter mod?
Is this to replace any 160M tank capacitance lost due to doing the 10M
mod?, or was this just a brain fart done by the previous owner.
Any comments welcome.
Thanks to all,
william F. Hagen
kc6ufe