[AMPS] Testing and Matching Filter Caps.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Testing and Matching Filter Caps.
From: k7dd@earthlink.net (Mike Baker)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:21:04 -0700
Ok Gang,
    Its collective wisdom time.
    The Readers Digest version of my question.
    I am in the middle of reworking a very nice Heath SB-220 for a friend.
Got it all pulled apart to clean, inspect and paint the inside of the RF
compartment with flat black exhaust manifold paint, and decided to take a
look at the HV electrolytics while I was at it.  Pulled them out of their
respective plastic holders, removed the old resistors and stripped the
wiring off them for reassembly.  Thought I might use my capacitor meter to
see if each one was fairly close to the 200MF they are marked.  Now I
realize that caps can vary greatly, like +80% to -25% etc. but here is my
question.  Considering the values I read of each one, and there are 4 in
each leg of my voltage doubler, how would you match them up in each leg? And
would it make any difference either way?
Here are my readings. 275,258,252,245,241,229,227,and 222.  So, put the 4
higher ones in one leg and the 4 lower ones in the other?  The highest one
and then the lowest one followed by the next highest and lowest?  Does it
make a rats butt of difference?
Short of having one of those nice devices that reforms, test etc caps, (no I
don't have one) is there another bench method to check the leakage of each
cap?
    Ok folks, let her rip...if the question seems a bit strange consider
that my sleep has been lousy and my sinus have matched my sleep so if this
sounds a bit weird, consider the source. ;+}  (aah, to sleep, perchance to
dream.)

Mike Baker  K7DD
Peoria Arizona.  Where else can you celebrate the middle of March in the
80's and the end of March in the 90's.  (July and August are a bitch.) Last
summer it was so hot I saw a Tree chasing a Dog!
k7dd@earthlink.net