[AMPS] SK640 at VHF?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SK640 at VHF?
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:51:41 EST

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:45:35 -0600 (CST) Chris Cox N0UK/G4JEC
<chrisc@Chris.Org> writes:

>Good evening.
>
>I have picked up a brand new (well, unused at least!) Eimac SK-640
>socket.  This is the air-flow system socket for the 4CX series valves
that
>has no integral screen grid bypass cap, neither does it have any of the
>fingers that contact the external circular screen ring.
>
>Has anyone successfully found a way to utilise this socket at VHF and/or
>UHF, or should it be relegated to the DC bands?
>
>I asked the same question a week or so ago on usenet
>(rec.radio.amateur.homebrew) but received no response.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>73  Chris Cox  N0UK, G4JEC, ex-AB0CN, ex-G8PTC  RNARS #1157  EN34jv

Hi Chris,
   Eimac makes (or made?) a separate capacitor assembly, the SK-655, that
should be useable with your socket.  EF Johnson has (or had?) a similar
part, 124-113 if memory serves, that also might work.

   Or you could arrange your circuit to run the screen at true ground,
using a bit of finger stock, which arrangement should be better than any
bypass cap.

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*