[AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:13:35 -0700
Hi Gents:

I finally got around to messing with this leading character truncation problem
a little.
Wednesday, I swapped out the problematic FT-1000D with another FT-1000D. This
appeared to cure the problem until I noticed that the autotuner was activated
on the
FT-1000D. When I turned off the autotuner, the problem re-appeared on the
second
FT-1000D. This was despite a low VSWR reading between the AL-82 and the
FT-1000D.
When I reactivated the autotuner, the rise time appeared normal. I then start
playing
with the drive to the AL-82, and noticed that at some point (~1400W output and
250
mA of grid current), the truncation problem re-occured (this time with the
autotuner
activated). When I backed down the drive a little (~200 mA grid current)
everything
seemed okay again. Curious, I swapped out the FT-1000's again, and was able to
reproduce the exact same behavior on the first FT-1000D (e.g. no truncation with
autotuner on, and moderate PA drive).

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,