[AMPS] Triton - Glass tubes ??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Triton - Glass tubes ??
From: Paul.Ferguson@pobox.com (Paul Ferguson)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:45:13 -0400
Rich,

> >Richardson is willing to send a new tube only if they can bill someone if
> >tube
> >is declared good by Amperex.
> >
> ? Why would Richardson replace a good tube?

What I meant here was that Richardson will send me a replacement tube
prior to Amperex declaring it bad, but if Amperex says it is not bad,
Richardson will bill me for the advance replacement. They would return my
"good" tube. I am confident the tube is bad. I am not confident Amperex will
properly test the tube.

To avoid the risk of getting billed for another tube, I have chosen to wait and
make sure Amperex declares it bad. I certainly understand I cannot expect
credit for a tube if it is not bad. My problem is the 15 week delay-- so far.

> ?  Paul  - Did either one of the "bad" tubes exhibit a grid-filament
> short when hot.?
> The only way to discover such a problem is with a high-pot. breakdown
> tester.

You did test both Chinese tubes for me -- the ones I owned before I
purchased the Amperex pair. Thanks very much for the hi-pot test. You
identified one as breaking down at a low voltage and indicated a grid-filament
short. The other tested fine. I kept the one that tested fine as my spare. It
has been in service while I wait on Richardson/Amperex.

73,
Paul
K5ESW