[AMPS] ALC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALC
From: doug@nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 16:07:04 -0400

I keep hearing how bad the 706 is - I don't know if there's a difference in
TX overshoot between the 706, 706Mk2, and 706Mk2G. I had a look at mine back
in January of this year. Here's what I wrote back then:
==========
All this talk prompted me to take my storage scope home tonight and
have a look at the rigs I use. Here's what I saw at 3.5 MHz as
measured with a 2Gs/sec digital scope:

On my Icom IC-706Mk2G, approx 1 year old:

pwr     spike   overshoot
===     =====   =========
100w    100w        0%
 75w     91w       21%
 50w     73w       46%
 25w     52w      108%
 10w     26w      160%

This was on CW. At 100w it seems to be a non-issue, but at lower power
levels the overshoot shows up. What I did not see was the 200 mS (or ANY)
period of zero output. TX overshoot I can believe, but I'd certainly suspect
that something is wrong with the radio if it went back to zero output for
200 mS. I would think that you'd hear it on CW, and nobody complains about
the CW signal from my 706.

I have pictures of the above if anyone is interested.
73,
Doug, K4DSP