[AMPS] Re: Self Osc...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Self Osc...
From: wlfuqu00@pop.uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 19:18:55 -0400
At 03:28 PM 5/6/01 -0700, you wrote:

> >Jim inquires,
> >
> >"A problem for all the experts-
> >I Built a 3-1000Z monoband amp for 10 meters.  I Sowly Variaced it up
> >and it
> >seems ok at 1500volts. Put 3KV on it and it will make a few watts of
> >power
> >without even putting RF to it. I heard a small RF type arc- kind of like
> >slight arcing in an air variable, (I have a vaccum cap) the tube glowed
> >red...etc."
> >
> >Jim,
> >
> >Shouldn't you also be terminating the INPUT with a 50-ohm load?
> >
> >73,    Roy     K6XK/0
> >
>?  only Class AB1 needs input termination.
>
>cheers
       If no input is being provided it should be terminated with 50 ohms
or with the OUTPUT of an transmitter/transceiver set to
zero output. DO NOT  have it connected to a transceiver which is in receive
mode while bringing up the B+.
If it does begin to oscillate it will fry the input of the receiver section
of your transceiver. That is why I prefer to use
a 50 ohm dummy input resistor when first bringing up an GG amplifier.

73
Bill wa4lav

William L. Fuqua  III , P.E.  EE
Department of Physics and Astronomy