[AMPS] UPDATE ON 3-1000Z OSCILLATION

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] UPDATE ON 3-1000Z OSCILLATION
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:33:38 -0500
on 5/9/01 9:36 PM, measures at 2@vc.net wrote:

>> Might be a good idea, this doesn't usually change stability much
>> because the feedback mostly involves the grid and layout more
>> than anything else. But it sure affects efficiency and even IMD!
>>
> ?  In our parasitic suppressor retrofit kit for the 3-1000Z, we provide
> VHF dampers to connect from the filament pins on the socket to gnd.

These R-C networks on the filaments do help.  They stopped an oscillation
for my amplifier.  One person suggested though that they may have helped to
stop an LF or HF oscillation rather than a VHF one.  I have no idea and I've
not thought it out as adding these took care of the problem (similar to that
of the original poster's but not as severe.).

However, we still don't know enough about the original problem just to start
throwing in a lot of cures w/o understanding the mechanisms behind it.  It's
like going to the doctor with a stomach ache and him giving you pain
relievers, anti-ulcer medication, etc., when all you needed was a good
antacid.  Sure you might get better, but you don't know why and side affects
from the treatment may eventually cause other problems.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden