[AMPS] Thar she blows

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Thar she blows
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:27:54 +1200
Years ago I had an SB220 and I was impressed with the quiet fan, pushing air
transversly around the 3-500s.
But I did have one filament pin unsolder, possibly a manufacturing defect
but likely to be due to excess heat.
I gather SB220 have a reputation for good tube life, altho the available
voltage means tubes are slightly under run.
Seems to me that somone with a modest knowledge of the physics involved
would be able to calculate the transverse airflow required to keep a 4-1000
happy.
I also suspect the a couple of copper fins added to the filament sockets
might keep them happy with transverse flow.
The standard plate connectors typically have transverse fins, so all in all
the big fan seems quite a good way to go, if the numbers look good.
Anybody out there able to do the calculation?
73
Baz

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD