[AMPS] SB-220 ultimate output

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 ultimate output
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 06:34:08 -0400
My SB-220 currently does not develop "full" grid current (for the sake of
argument, 200 ma.) on any band but 40m, when driven with a TS-930.  I
presume this is due to the well-documented shortcomings of the stock input
circuits.  My question is, if I were to use a 200-watt transceiver, could I
expect to turn up the CW power till the grid current reached the 200 ma.
level, and realize additional output power, or would the relatively low
plate voltage cause the output to flatten out before that point?

And yes, I know the additional power would be virtually unnoticeable on the
other end.  I'm just curious.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!