[AMPS] Voltage Doublers...thanks for the info.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Voltage Doublers...thanks for the info.
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:56:49 +1200
glenn
 if you have reasonable equalising resistors across the capacitor string
that will give sufficient load to stop the no load volts soaring and you can
fire the thing up slowly from zero volts to primary with a variac [best] or
start with a low watts bulb in series with the line, and run for a bit, then
substitute next bulb up etc. this way the electros have a chance to form and
any tendency to catastrophic breakdown is detected early.
In operation ht volts can be expected to sag maybe 5% with standing load of
the tube, another 5-10% drop at full load.
73
end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill Homestay