[AMPS] KNOCK IT OFF!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] KNOCK IT OFF!
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:17:49 -0700

>Parasitic Oscillations can occur anywhere, any time, especially when
>the plate voltage rises to significant levels and then the insanity
>and illogical occurrences increase with frequent displays of
>fireworks.  There are those that enjoy the arcing ...

?  A crispy-crittered bandswitch is undoubtedly Not a joy - especially
when replacements are no longer being manufactured.

> ... and loud bangs and
>then there are those that dawn their sunglasses and ear protectors and
>care not to see or hear the evidence of instability before us.

?  Denial of reality - the great human malady.

>Some of us just give up solving the wild and insane perturbation and
>merely back off on the C and put in lotsa L gingerly adding very  very
>small amounts of C then remembering that precise position where
>stability prevails.  I think we all know how to find that spot.
>
>Regards
>Geo - W7LFD

?  I have seen and heard about many marginally-stable amplifiers that had
no such sweet spot.  In my experiences, decreasing the VHF-Rp of the
parasitic suppressor seems to reduce VHF-gain as well as the number of
surprises.

cheers, George.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end