[AMPS] AL-811H and PEP Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-811H and PEP Question
From: ctj92@earthlink.net (Charles Johnston)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:41:15 -0700
Hello Gary,
   I have the AL811-H and drive it with a TS450S / AT.   I too had some
concerns about the power out until I obtained a true peak-reading meter.
The one I settled on is the Yaesu YS-60.   Once I got this meter I was
getting 800W out PEP on 15M and on down...it starts to taper off above 15M
down to about 600-650 on 10M. Still plenty good enough to get the job done.

  The YS-60 meter is an active meter requiring 13.8 v and has 2 IC's and 6
transistors.  I have details about the meter and nice close-up photos of it
on my web site.  With this meter I need only speak in a normal voice and
true PEP is displayed..it has been fine. I did have to change one of the 2
internal lamps that illuminate the meter.  Otherwise no trouble at all.
When I bought mine from AES they were around $129 as I recall.

  I drive my 811-H with 65W and do not have the ALC hooked up.  When I have
run with the ALC hooked up I have found it to be very non-linear across the
bands .  This meant some bands were ' held back ' from full output..not so
good.  John at Ameritron support told me to tune up according to the manual
and just be sure the plate current and grid current were below their
respective maximums and not bother with the alc wire.   I have had this amp
2 years in Sep and have had no trouble....I think for the output level and
price it may well be the best amp value going.

 I have sent this reply to your email and to the amps list....
73  /  DX

Charles Johnston
charles@ab7sl.com

AB7SL - Ham Radio Pages