[AMPS] Setting the record straight--Dick Ehrhorn

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Setting the record straight--Dick Ehrhorn
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--Signal Hill Ranch)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:30:21 -0600
AMPS Reflector--

Rich Measures said on July 2, 2001:

"Low Rp parasitic oscillation suppressors apparently work. The Alpha
86 & 87 does not use such suppressors. Around 40% of the 80-series Alpha
owners I surveyed reported sudden failures that required factory repair.
When Alpha founder Mr. Dick Ehrhorn was active on AMPS, he said that he
had seen hundreds of tubes with gold-sputtering damage."

This didn't sound like a correct attribution to me so I forwarded
the quote to Dick Ehrhorn to confirm if this is what he had said
or what he believes.  And this is Dick's reply:

"Measures is simply unbelievable & evidently clean out of his gourd now. We
had long exchanges on the amps reflector concerning tube failures. I made it
100% explicit that I had NEVER seen, or been made aware of by a credible
source (i.e., Eimac or our lab), of even one 3CX800A7 (or any other tube
type) failure which was attributable to parasitic oscillations in any ALPHA
amp."

I just wanted to clear up this misinformation and misrepresentation
of Dick's position on the issue.

John W0UN