[AMPS] Linear AMP timing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Linear AMP timing
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:35:11 -0400
> >On a Linear Amplifier would having the output relay of the amplifier
> > operate 20 millisecs before the input relay be sufficient to keep RF
> > from being on the output contacts before they are closed?
>
> This depends a bit on the form of the relay. If the relay at the output is
> a changeover type, then you still can get the hot switching problem,
> albeit only(!) with the drive power. It is all very dependent on the exact
> switching system and the timings.

Of course it never hurts to measure an unknown, but virtually all
relays useful in amplifiers take far less than 20ms to switch.

Typical open frame 20 ampere relays switch in 12 mS or less. The
only relays I have seen that are near 20mS are large contactors. Of
course one has to be sure the coil voltage is at least the rated
voltage.

Another problem often overlooked is the drop times. That can be
fatal!

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com