[AMPS] The Economics of QRO, or Where do all the big TXs go?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] The Economics of QRO, or Where do all the big TXs go?
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:56:34 +1200
Downunder, where we forelock tugging subjects of the dear Queen would never
even contemplate exceeding our150 watt max input power limit, I once had
cause to contemplate the economics of QRO.

Now 14-20 kW is definitely too rich for my blood, but once I was offered a
little RCA number with push-pull parrallel 833s, free, gratis. Seems it had
only scrap value.

Occurred to me that the average ZL farm has three phase power going to the
barn, and said tx which was built for remote control could be parked in the
shed and could be jumped from say, 80 to 20 in the twinkle of an eye. Just
run a bit of coax to it from transceiver indoors and away one could go.

A cw man, and well away from the neighbours, could live happily with four
833s in Class C. And one has the tower and antennas, anyway.

Perhaps it is as well I am so happy living on this island in voluntary
internal exile and have no ambition to farm.( Pause while the chorus sings
the traditional English song: "To be a Farmers Boy". )

If I were to make such a move it would of course be to preserve part of our
radio communications heritage, not the ego trip it would be for other folk.

But it does beg the question: Where do those obsolete QRO commercial point
to point transmitters end up?

73
Baz

end