[AMPS] Tetrode poor IMD performance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tetrode poor IMD performance
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:07:38 -0400
I found the following information to be very interesting regarding alleged
tetrode performance.  What they're saying is that a current-regulated screen
grid ensures linearity regardless of drive power.  Is this true?  I found
the quote below from the CTI web page.  Note that they do not specify an IMD
figure in their technical specifications.

http://cticomtec.com/CTI/pla800.html

"Triodes are Good, Tetrodes are Better....

Unlike triode amplifiers, the PLA800 uses tetrode tubes, which have a
control screen grid. The screen grid not only adds to the amplification
factor of the tube, but also controls the electron flow to the plate. When
current regulation is used for the screen grid, as with the PLA800, plate
and screen currents are limited to their maximum value. As a result you will
not overdrive the PLA800 creating sideband distortion or splatter.
Increasing the drive power beyond 50 watts, does not increase the power
output. Because of this self-limiting feature, an ALC circuit is not needed.
The amplified audio, as in SSB service, is clear and clean, void of
sibilance and distortion."