[AMPS] SB-1000 mods?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-1000 mods?
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:33:27 -0700

>> In any case, the glitch resistor is one of those components that needs
>> to be located in a cooling air stream.
>>
>> Any idea how to get hold of these resistors in small quantities  at
>> reasonable prices? Now it's Monday, is somebody gonna call
>RCD?
>
>I'd suggest people check manufacturers. I'm sure many have stock
>components that will do.
>
>For example, Ameritron has a variety of globar resistors and also a
>400 joule 13 watt dissipation 1500 volt 10 ohm resistor as a
>standard component. ... ...

//  At one time, no Ameritron/MFJ amplifier used a glitch resistor.
Which models currently do, Me. Rauch?
tnx.

>The resistance actually needs to be selected by the ruggedness of
>other components, not just by voltage. For example, a 4CX5000
>can take a big current whack compared to frail small tube like a
>4CX800.

//  Amen to that.

>With the 4CX5000, your biggest worry is other
>components like RF chokes and screen regulation systems.

A fast-acting 250v fuse in the power transformer's primary in the scrren
supply seemingly took care of this matter in the "plywood-box".   The
negative screen-current problem was addressed by bleeding 25mA of screen
current with a 50w resistor.

>I don't think X ohms per volt is a good rule, although I suppose it is
>better than nothing.

//  Practical experience is often better than esoteric calculations.

cheers, Tom

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end