[AMPS] SB-1000 mods?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-1000 mods?
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:06:38 +0100
2 wrote:
>>>//  Please name and explain some other causes of potentially fatal
>>>current surges, Mr. White.
>>
>>You appear to have forgotten that this very subject was discussed at
>>some length back in January/February.
>>
>//  Alzheimers?

Nah... you're just not changing your memory backup batteries often
enough. Or maybe it's parasitic diodes in the I/O ports   :-)

>>Here are a few quotes from the literature.
>>
>>"Although a very high degree of insulation between two electrodes can be
>>obtained... by modern high-vacuum technique, it is nevertheless possible
>>for this insulation to break down spontaneously and completely. This
>>phenomenon is known by various names, such as... the "Rocky Point
>>effect", after the American wireless station, which is one of several at
>>which it has been observed. ...  Time lags [after application of
>>voltage] can vary between a few seconds or minutes to tens, hundreds or
>>even thousands of hours."
>>Gossling (British GEC), 'The Flash-Arc in High Power Valves', 1932.
>>
>//  What of G.W. Fyler (Sept.,1935) article in the IRE Journal -
>"Parasites in Transmitters"?

We all know that parasitic oscillations can be a cause of current surges
(glitches).

My very simple point is that they are just *one* of several possible
causes.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek