[AMPS] gettering

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] gettering
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:32:35 -0700

>> >//   Where is the getter in a 3-500Z?
>> >Where is the getter in an 8877?
>> >Can gettering take place while a tube is cold?
>
>This has been covered a dozen times on this reflector.

//  I heard about the getter in a 3-500z on AMPS, but I do not recall
seeing any info about a 8877 getter.

>The 3-500 gettering agent is zirconium, the gray powder-looking
>coating on the anode. It is sprayed on, and activates at about 1000
>degrees C. In the ideal case it should run at various temperatures,
>because the gas liberated at one temperature is absorbed at
>another.

// 1000º C is yellow/white-hot.  If  this were the case, gettering would
not take place.

>The 8877 uses tantalum. It is mounted near the cathode and
>heated to temperature by the heater.  This was one source of
>chronic 8877 failures in the 80's, because the cathode was moving
>when the tantalum was warping.
>
>All getters outgas to some extent, as do other  elements in the
>tube.
>
>Arcs also getter the tubes, by causing a plasma that breaks-down
>the gas into harmless elements that bond to material in the tube.
>As a matter of fact, some tubes are (or used to be) gettered during
>manufacture with intentional internal arcs.
>
>> I recommend contacting the manufacturer for these questions. If you
>> prefer to avoid Eimac, then talk to Claude Peterson at Econco in
>> Woodland, CA. (800) 532 6626. He was involved with some of the glass
>> Eimac tubes at Salt Lake City before they sold that operation. Maybe
>> the 3CX1500A7/8877 as well.... Let us all know what you find out.
>
>Why depend on someone else to accurately convey what is told?

//  Amen, Mr. Rauch.  This why I did not accept the claim that the 3-500Z
was rated at 500mA.  This is why I telephoned Eimac about the alleged R&D
Engineering Manager who proved to be as phony as a $3 dollar bill.
http://www.vcnet.com/measures/$3.JPG

>Rather than take second-hand info, you can find books on the
>subject. There are entire chapters on gettering.

//  Books contain second hand, third hand, and fourth hand info.

>Try the Electronic Designers Handbook and other detailed
>engineering books. Eimac mailed me 19 pages of information in
>1982 titled "Getters and Their Function in Vacuum Tube
>Manufacture".
>
>They also mailed info on neutralizing grounded grid tubes. Rich
>may have copies of both that he hasn't read yet.

//  chortle

---  But alas, no answer to the question:  Can gettering take place while
a tube is cold?
-  My guess is that Mr. Rauch knows that if he grasps this hot potato,
someone is quite likely to quote from Will Angenent's Grate Parasitics
Debate archive.

cheers,  Tom Rauch

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end