[AMPS] Rain Static

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Rain Static
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:31:42 -0700

>G'day All,
>I know it's not the correct forum for this question but I also know that
>there are some clever people here who will know the answer.
>
>I'm listening on 20m at the moment and my antenna is a 3 element triband
>yagi at 50 ft. It has been raining for the greater part of the day and it's
>still raining now. The rain static has been driving me crazy.
>
>Has anybody tried a static discharge resistor, say 1 Meg Ohm at the antenna
>feedpoint. The static strap I wear on my wrist at work has a similar value
>resistor and it supposedly discharges any static electricity buildup and
>protects the equipment I'm working on. Will it work on my antenna?

//   I have a TV antenna that is located inside the attic because my
house is line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson (TV hill)  in L.A., some 50-miles
away..  I receive rain static TVI - especially on the lower channels.  My
guess is that rain static occurs before rain drops hit the ground.   On
my outdoor radio antennas,  I receive rain static even though I use HV
bleeder resistors to discharge static buildup, which would otherwise arc
antenna tuner capacitors.

cheers, Alek.

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps