[AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 06:36:26 -0700
In aircraft, a dual ignition system is used - because your life depends upon
it.  Perhaps a good practice to adopt is to use a redundancy on the bleeder
resistors.  This would protect the capacitors from blowing and also make
sure the voltage is discharged.

A suggestion would be to either have one set as the main bleeder/equalizer
set with a high value in parallel as a backup, or have parallel resistors of
twice the value.

I like wire would resistors with a low enough resistance to load the power
supply.  Because of their fragility (my spell checker seems to like that
word), a high value metal film resistor could be used in parallel.  An
annual glance at the discharge rate on the voltage meter would tell you if
the primary resistors are still intact.  And since our memories are failing,
we can document the decay time in the manual under "notes and modifications"
that we religiously keep.

73,  Colin  K7FM