[AMPS] CIRCUIT BREAKER FOR TRANSFORMER PRIMARY CIRCUIT

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CIRCUIT BREAKER FOR TRANSFORMER PRIMARY CIRCUIT
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:35:29 -0500
> //  With the 18 - 20 db amplifiers that I built, I trusted the
> electric-mains' junction-box breakers to open if there was a problem.  It
> works.

I do about the same thing here. Each of my amps have their own
dedicated 240 volt outlet, with breakers in the electric mains junction
box sized to the load of each. As back-up, I use the large Buss NON
type fuses in each power supply. I found that most of the cute 20-30
amp breakers for panel mounting on equipment racks are much slower
than the common breakers used in service entrance panels.
If your glitch resistors and breakers are sized correctly, the breakers
will pop, and the resistors will not after a fault. Otherwise, most any
breaker can be made to work. The value of the glitch resistor is
selected to limit energy discharge from the filter caps to 50 joules,
and the wattage of the glitch resistor is selected to keep it from
self-destructing while the breaker is in transit. Sort of like designing
a step-start system in reverse.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC