[AMPS] Findings surrounding SB-220 Heating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Findings surrounding SB-220 Heating
From: jprocyk@telus.net (Ian Procyk)
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 19:19:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C14F65.08CD5490

I have been asked to submit the exchange I had with Pete to the
reflector, so here it goes.

Hello, Pete

I'm by no means an expert on the sb-220 amplifier, I'm 16years old and
happen to have one I use on a regular basis contesting and the like.  I
have just kept an ear focused on this reflector service for ideas.
However, I wouldn't mind communicating some common problems I have had
with the sb-220 in relation to cooling.

Like I say, I have used the sb-220 in many contesting situations where
the amplifier was running hard for most of the 48 hours, with no
problems, I have never yet had a filament go out during operation, yet I
have had a filament go upon startup, (perhaps an indication that pin
temperature rises too high if the amp is turned off after long stints of
SSB operation?)

When I bought the amp I was reluctant to remain using the limited stock
fan of the sb-220, but being a cheap student I continued until
approximately  6 months ago when I had the failure of the right (viewed
from front) tube's filament. Needless to say I was very worried that I
had lost the tube, but was EXSTATIC to find that the solder on the pin
had melted and dripped out, somehow just enough that the filament would
not light.

I replaced the stock fan with a 6inch tube-axial fan capable of 230CFM
(the stock fan was also 6" in diameter).  I was very impressed with the
cooling capability of the fan at 230cfm, I could key down with 1.3KW
output at 2900V full load and it would take a little over 5minutes for
the tubes to show any signs of being hot, mind you the power supply was
humming.

As an aside: I have followed through on Rick Measures (AG6K)'s idea of
overhauling the bleeder resistors on the capacitor bank, with the new
resistors of different value (I forget what they are), the total heat
being dissipated by the bleeders has gone down very noticeably.
However, I still have a small computer CPU fan mounted on standoff's
over the cap-bank that cools that entire area with a little bit of air
flow. This fan may not be needed now as that entire area is dissipating
way less heat.

When I bought the tube-axial fan I knew it was going to be loud and 10x
overkill, but the idea in the end was to build a circuit that could
control the rpm of the fan, thus making it tolerable.  However, before I
developed that circuit I had to try the fan out. It proved to be so loud
that during one contest I gave up and placed the amplifier inside an
empty cabinet of an old broadcast transmitter and kept a close eye on
the wattmeter.

After I finished the contest at VE7SCC, I decided that I better start
work on the variable fan rpm idea, for know I have employed a very low
tech solution, I'm using a step down transformer with a few secondary
taps for voltages ranging between 60VAC-90VAC and I can switch them via
an external switch.  When running this particular 110VAC tube-axial fan
around 60VAC the noise level is bearable, and the fan still puts out the
air!  However, one morning after a long night on 80m, I turned the
amplifier on to chase some gray line dx, and I was shocked to see I had
lost THE SAME FILAMENT yet again.  I took the day off school (at the
time it was secondary to this)  :)) and I opened the amp to find the
same melted pin.  I knew that I had to do something so in the mean time
I decided to solder the pin right to the socket until I could decide
what to do.  I managed to entice a good friend of mine, to *donate* a
Johnson 275 socket that would replace the existing socket.  The next
week I de-soldered the tube from it's socket and overhauled the entire
affair.

A KEY OBSERVATION WAS NOTED:  At the time when I had both the old and
the new sockets sitting on the table I came to the conclusion that the
old socket had lost it's spring tension on the filament pins..!!??? I
researched this on the 'net and found this was a normal occurrence, that
over the years, the heating and cooling will eventually deform the
socket to the point where there is no longer perfect circular contact
between the Johnson 275 filament socket and the tube's filament pin,
thus creating only a few contact points all the way around the pin, this
problem in turn raised the resistance of the connection and therefore
more heat was induced.

I replaced the socket successfully and have been running the amplifier
with the same fan and new socket combination for about 1 year now.  In
the last year I have not encountered any problems with that socket,
although I finally had to replace the second one, after it endured the
same situation.

I have opened and seen several other homebrew amplifiers even commercial
amps including Kenwood's TL-992A and noticed one feature that seems to
make sense:  This is the fact that Kenwood paints the RF deck close to
the 3-500's BLACK.  This makes nothing but sense as black will "suck
away" heat from the envelope of the tube and direct it to the chassis
better then shiny aluminum surfaces will (if I can recall, Rick Measures
points out the same thing on his website, and he recommends taking the
steps to paint that part of the RF-deck black.

Taking his advice, I took it upon myself to paint the RF-deck black.
But before I did this I took a look at the anode while transmitting key
down 1KW+ at HV plate voltage.  Looking through the green cover, I got
on the right angle to notice that the side of the anode facing the
aluminum chassis was indeed quite a bit redder in color then the sides
facing the Tank and the blower, This was apparent on both tubes! So the
next weekend I painted that area black, and setup my experiment again.
I now, was not able to detect any "hot spots" on the anode, whether it
was facing the chassis or not, it was all a velvet color! Needless to
say I was pleased.

BOTTOM LINE:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think if you implement the ideas I have described, you will be on your
way to success, the key thing is to catch problems before they arise and
do some preventative maintenance.  This is hard for me to do as I rely
solely on the income from cutting neighbor's laws, but for a working
person this would be simple and very cheap for an amp of this
proportion.

A good idea would be to peruse AG6K's site and get an idea for some
improvements you can implement on your SB-220:

http://www.vcnet.com/measures/

73 and take it easy,
Ian Procyk,
VE7HHS