[AMPS] Tuned Input Circuit Q

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tuned Input Circuit Q
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 04:52:00 -0400
> Denny Had thought otherwise for years.
> Eimac still honored their warranty, and the FCC
> did not seem to care.

None of that matters Phil, because none of that means anything.

None of them are concerned about what improper Q or circuit style
would do.

The only potential problems are a lack of maximum efficiency and
IMD performance in cases where the harmonics distort cathode
waveform, or exciter shutdown in solid state rigs if cathode
harmonics make it back to the SWR sensing system.

The first time I ever saw a severe problem was in a homebrew pair
of 3-500Z's, that only made 45% efficiency on 15 meters despite a
perfect SWR on the input, and two-tone was -32 3rd below one
tone. Doing a proper tuned input raised everything to normal ranges.

The FCC, Eimac's warranty dept, and Denny Had would never care
about something like that.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com