[AMPS] Re: 8k ultra/ "tuned input"

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 8k ultra/ "tuned input"
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:35:32 -0700
Sounds like 10 lbs of tripe.

Or, knowing Henry Radio, possibly 190 lbs.

The first amateur amp Henry ever built to cover 160m was the 3K Classic Mk
III using a single 3CX1200D7, in ~1986.  I had to bully them into it, by
working with Ted S. (Shannon) Henry and giving him a cash-up-front order for
12 amplifiers.  Ted told me they never added 160m to their amps because of
physical limitations, and how the enclosure would detune circuitry and
they'd never accomplish a reasonable Q, blah blah.  I had already built a
4-1000A for 160 years earlier, on a much smaller chassis than the 3K, and it
had no problem delivering 1750W output with about 60% efficiency; I provided
Ted with the details of my circuit, which were largely lifted from an old
Radio Handbook.  The amps were finally delivered about 4 months later, and
the 160m bandswitch position had been added, along with a huge piece of B&W
stock, padder caps (doorknobs) all over, a 160m tuned input, etc.  The
resultant Q seemed reasonable, based on the half-power BW of the output
tank...tuned broadly and easily, and one setting would cover about 30 kHz on
1.8 MHz, not bad.

The _problems_ with that amp, which ultimately led to my selling it, were
acoustic noise (JT9D), too much time to make a band change (crank, crank,
crank, crank), and the silly roller inductor has a mean time to failure of
about a year or so of casual operating, before the contact jumps off the
track and wedges itself between turns.

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger