[AMPS] Ameritron ALS-600

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ameritron ALS-600
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:07:39 -0500
Hi Kevin, and welcome to the amps reflector!

I have a similar set-up here. It is an Icom 706 Mark II
and a Henry SS-750 amp. It is my mobile rig for long
trips, but 99% of the time it is right here on my desk.
I call it my "spot and pounce" station. When a needed
country is spotted on the DX cluster, an alarm goes off, and
the 706 is automatically tuned to the frequency(s) and mode
All I have to do is throw the proper band switch on the Henry
and I usually have the 'new one" in the log. One click on the
computer keyboard, and its logged. I still have my eyesight,
but it is going down hill fairly fast. This is an ideal set-up for this.

I also chose the Ameritron QSK-5 to handle the QSK chores
for me. It not only works mobile and fixed, but it also switches
several other amps at my station. It is a "stand alone" unit; self-
powered. It switches several times faster than the fastest vacuum
relay. Tales of lightning susceptibility are highly exaggerated. I try
not to operate QSK during thunderstorms, and I disconnect my
antennas. This procedure has been successful for 5+ years
here in tornado alley. (not so for several antennas and one tower!)

The QSK-5, IMO, is a good investment, and will work with any
equipment you my acquire in the future.

GL!
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC