[AMPS] MEASURING FILAMENT VOLTAGE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MEASURING FILAMENT VOLTAGE
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:57:00 -0700

>I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but wouldn't the best way
>to get a truly accurate reading of filament volts on a glass tube like a
4-1000
>would be to solder small wires directly to the filament pins and run them to
>an accurately calibrated AC voltmeter?

Soldering wires to the pins would serve no purpose since the test prods
to the DMM can be applied directly to the filament pins.

>There can be a small amount of
>resistance where the socket grips the tube pins and in a high-current
>filament circuit even a small resistance can drop the filament voltage some
>fraction of a volt?

True.  The V-drop from the socket contact to the pin could be measured.
My guess is that <50mV drop would be ok.

> Is it feasable to measure the filament voltage at the
>pins in an operating GG amplifier where the filament circuit is above ground
>hot with RF? I would think using a pair of small RF chokes at the pins would
>isolate the AC voltmeter from the RF but could they cause problems with
>making the circuit unstable? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks for any
>comments.

The presence of RF  adds virtually no useful inforation.

cheers, Todd

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end