[AMPS] metering (filament V)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] metering (filament V)
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:56:08 -0600
I would use small wires that can easily blow open (should you
accidentally have a short on them later) or have small fuses with
them. Filament voltage is typically measured at the socket pins
unless there is NO socket, in which case the flanges on the tube are
even better. If the pins are loose, then you should fix it. Using 50
mV or so drop as Rich says is probably good. In our systems, we try
to measure the filament with RF off, due to the susceptability of
many 'true rms' digital meters to interference. Iron Vane meters are
real nice. You can also use a lot of RF bypassing and choking on the
wires, but its up to you. Even having a couple of pin jacks on the
panel is enough, to stick a good meter on occasionally.

Now for GG operation, it will be tricky. I would suggest sticking a
meter inside the deck somewhere where you can observe it through a
screen. If that sounds tacky, then at least be very careful about
your hookup, use the chokes that you mention, and watch for being a
source of RFI though the meter hole. In one particular cathode
follower amplifier here, we have the meter on the AC primary to the
fil transformer, and made a calibration, checking the actual filament
AC at the tube, with RF and HV off. Then marked the AC meter or put a
scaling factor in the logbook. This is certainly the easiest way for
a GG or CF amplifier.
John
K5PRO