[AMPS] Henry 1KD5 Rectifier question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 1KD5 Rectifier question
From: ad5gb@yahoo.com (Randall DuCharme)
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:21:32 -0800 (PST)

--- 2 <2@vc.net> wrote:

> The 3-500Z is difficult to damage from excessive
> grid current because it
> has a grid that can be run at red-heat for brief
> periods without a
> problem.   My guess is that the grid contains
> molybdenum.    Tune for max
> RF out with c. 65w drive and grid-current will be
> good.

At ~65 watts drive I get 130ma grid, 450ma plate and
~700 watts out.  Power levels are an estimate.  My
tuner meter was adjusted to match a Bird meter as
closely as possible, (some time ago).  The accuracy
varies depending on where in the tuner meter's scale
it's running.   Anyway, I tend to stay at or under
Henry's recommended 400ma Ip and 130ma Ig.

> >> Your 3-500Z may be distorting because it is
> running
> >> out of emission due
> >> to the use of c. 5.8v on the approx. 4.8v
> filament.
> >> When a 1KD-5 is
> >> operated in Japan, where they have 200v mains,
> the
> >> filament v. is ideal.
> >
> >Interesting.  This possibility I never considered,
> >since I was able to get good output ( 600 watts or
> so
> >) with reasonable drive.  Since I don't know what
> the
> >orignal transformer supplied, I can't say first
> hand
> >what the conditions were before I got the amp.
> >
> With a stock amp., it is helpful to have a free
> supply of new tubes.

Well.... I measured the fil. volts.  You were right...
5.85V at the tube pins.  And this is with THEIR
replacement XFMR for this unit.