[AMPS] Alpha 76A (two-hole) question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 76A (two-hole) question
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:35:48 -0800

>Hi folks,
>
>I finished restoring a two-hole 76A a few months ago, and
>it seems to be running fine. (nice little amp)  My question:
>
>With the original attenuator, (resistor pack) I get roughly
>650-700 watts out for 75 watts drive.  I don't really want to
>run it much harder than that, but does 75/650-700 with the
>stock pack sound about right?  I would guess so, but never
>having played with an amp so heavily "swamped" on the input
>before, it's hard to know for sure.

-  If I owned one, I would put an ultrafast recovery diode in series with
swamper-R.  The diode's arrow needs to point toward gnd in order to
provide loading on the positive half of the driving cycle - where the
cathode draws virtually no current.  This config. removes the swamper
from the burden on the exciter during the negative half of the driving
cycle. /   Mouser carries such diodes. /
- A useful mod on older Alphas is to replace the orig., 350v-max,
unstable, carbon-comp, "equalizer" resistors across the 450V electrolytic
capacitors with modern MOF resistors.   If  these capacitors have a date
code prior to 1980, they should probably be replaced.
-  For SSB service, 8874s are best tuned up with a tuning pulser to avoid
stripping the oxide coating off of the cathode.  [photo on p.17 in Sept.,
1990 QST article, "Parasitics Revisited"]

cheers, Jim

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end