[AMPS] Coil Forms

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coil Forms
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:10:31 -0500

Peter said:
> PVC isn't the best material for the job: if you can get some
> fibreglass, that's much better - less loss.

The loss difference is generally insignificant, because the primary
field in the PVC is the magnetic field unless you are unwisely
placing PVC where the electric field is highly concentrated.

By far the biggest increase in losses are from placing turns right
against one another, using thin or stranded wire, using wire with a
dielectric that increases turn-to-turn capacitance, or using the
improper form shape factor.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com