[AMPS] Gi7B Tube Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Gi7B Tube Amps
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:38:05 -0000

snip
>BTW, I remember some folklore that the Russian hams used to use GI7Bs
>with vapour cooling. They had an open-topped pot of water screwed to the
>anode, and a chimney in the top of the cabinet for the steam to escape.
>They had to remember to pour in more water before it boiled dry... but
>very carefully...

I have heard that story too, just check the water level now and then
to assure you don´t run the amplifier dry.
Good engineering practice? probably not but the plate will not reach higher
temperatures than 100C  :-)
Surely all it needs is a couple of level detectors, one as a reminder to top
up, the other at a lower level as a shut off. A small fan and tumble dryer
ducting will blow the steam outside. With a small outlet funnel well above
the water level, timing the pouring right should ensure that you can't have
a continuous stream of water between the anode and the top-up jug.

What does it do the the anode C?

Steve