[AMPS] bright light

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] bright light
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:05:25 -0800

>At 04:43 AM 11/18/2001 -0800, 2 wrote:
>

>>In FM broadcast service, 8281/4cx15,000As emit blue light through the
>>anode insulator.  However, this phenomen can only be seen when no chimney
>>is used in the design.
>>
>Must be from some kind of corona discharge from the HV. It cannot be from
>tube/element heat if it is blue. Is ordinary corona blue?

/   As I understand it, when high velocity electrons strike the ceramic
insulator, they bump its electrons up into a higher orbit.  When an
electron slows down and falls back to its original orbit, it emits a
photon -- i.e., the ceramic fluoresces.  A similar blue glow occurs when
electrons strike some types of glass.

cheers, Jerry

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end