[AMPS] v's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] v's
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:40:48 +0000
2 wrote:
>>I got another infected e-mail this morning, It was the same v-i-r-u-s as the
>>last, w32, etc.Ihad it deleted withot even looking at the e-mail. trouble
>>is, norton says it can't be repaired so I quarantined them and then deleted
>>them. I'm rather thankful for norton so far.!!!!!
>> carl / kz5ca
>>
>//  My guess is that the perpetrator is a Ham who participated here in
>the past year or two.  Another guess is that it is the same person who
>successfully unsubscribed me from AMPS on more than one occasion.  --
> --  There's usually a tender nerve behind the bull's-eye.

People don't send you these 'worm' programs - they send themselves.

They may spread in two ways: by copying addresses from an existing
victim's Outlook address book; or by trawling through cached copies of
recently visited web pages to look for mailto: addresses.

If your address came from an address book, then the sender's address is
likely to be familiar to you - but that person is not even aware it's
happening. If your address came from the victim having recently visited
your website... well, that's the price of fame.

Although Badtrans has been known about for months, for some reason it
seems to have just reached critical mass and there are many reports of
it this week.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek