[AMPS] Another Stupid Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Another Stupid Question
From: alex@sandlabs.com (alex)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:45:09 -0500
This cap is a DC blocking Capacitor. It's main duty is to deny DC
voltage/current flowing into the next stage, usually the tuning tank. As
such it's value is not critical. However, it is connected to the input of a
tuning stage and as such it's reactance will influence the working
parameters of it. Thus, when simulating/computing
the next stage this capacitor value is taken in consideration. Usually in
the simulation it is connected in series with the RF generator thus it's
reactance varies with the bands. The bigger it is, the lower  the frequency
response becomes (i.e. allows more RF to pass at low frequency) It actually
behaves as a Hi Pass Filter. The tuning components are influenced somewhat
by this capacitor but not much.

Some times this cap's value is chosen such it will nullify the internal tube
rectance by presenting to it a complementary one. It is often done in Solid
State amp. design

If you build an amp and simulate the output tank, then for the beginning,
chose an arbitrary cap value and then as you go thru simulation you will
optimize it for the best tradeoff between price/value/performance.

Need more? tell me :)
Alex, N2NNU
alex@sandlabs.com
http:/www.sandlabs.com