[AMPS] Another Stupid Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Another Stupid Question
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 06:46:15 -0800

>changes except a
>readjustment of the tuning cap by 2 pF
>to compensate for the
>reactance change, changes less than 100
>ohms out of 3000
>ohms....a totally insignificant change.
>
>As I said, I learned my lesson many
>years ago when I laughed at
>someone for reading a blocking cap wrong
>by a factor of ten in a
>160 meter amp. After poking fun at him,
>I was amazed when we
>changed the capacitor to a "traditional"
>value of 1000pF and
>nothing we could see changed.
>
>People waste far too much time worrying
>about enough blocking
>capacitance, and spend far too little
>time considering current
>ratings of the capacitors ...

//   Excellent points.  The popular ITT/Jenning/Centralab 1000pF /5kV 50
- 58 (smaller-series) doorknob cap is rated to carry 3.7A-rms at 30 MHz.
The 100pF version is good for 9.2A-rms.  With a pair of 3-500Zs at 30MHz,
the circulating current through the DC blocker can easily be more than
4A-rms.

>and the plate
>choke design.....which has a
>MUCH larger effect than the blocking
>capacitor on system Q and
>other problems.

//  However, if the Tune-C has enough C at the lowest freq. of operation,
it can be adjusted to cancel the XL of the HV-RFC.  Provided that the RFC
can carry the RF circulating current, all is well.

>And the small effect above is on 160
>meters, where the problem is
>at its worse point. On higher bands, the
>effect would be less.

//  True

"I know that most men, including those who are at ease with problems of
the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most
obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of
conclusions which they had delighted in explaining to colleagues, which
they had proudly taught to others, and which they had woven, thread by
thread, into the fabric of their lives." -  L. Tolstoy

congrats

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end